After the occupation of Grudziądza by Prussia in the result and cutting of Poland in 1772, the market was erected in the late-baroque-classicist forms of the Small Evangelical Church (1783-1784, the work headed by the municipal treasurer Pegelow). The dedication took place on January 23, 1785. The highest sum for construction was provided by King Frederick II and the new temple was named after him. Later, a wooden turret with a clock was added, transferred from the torn Bishop's castle in Stargarden Chełmiński and 4 bells. Located right next to the town hall, the church has not only proved to be too tight since the beginning, it has proved very flawlessly built and required continuous repairs. There were 600 seats in the small area. That this was not only uncomfortable, but also dangerous, convinced the tragic accidents of June 7, 1861, when the outbreak of panic during the devotion, probably caused by the reflection of light on the glass (thought that a fire was made) caused a stifles in the crowd 14 People. In 1863, the The temple became a place of celebration of the Jubilee of the whim anniversary of the founding of the Evangelical parish of Grudziądz, and on this occasion was issued a chronicles of her history, written by the super-authorising officer Peterson.
As the interior of the Church of Fryderykowskiego looked, it is probably not known. In the years 1830-1832, a fundraiser was held for new authorities, and Elisabeth Bischoff offered a silver crucifix in 1844. The painter and teacher of the drawing Dreetz made a new altar image depicting Christ among the Pharisees in 1884. Was placed next, the foundation and authored by the popular Grudziądz painter Gustav Breuninga. Starting from 1843. Renewed efforts to build a new church, but only the dynamic development of the city at the end of the 19TH century caused the necessity of building a new stately parish temple at today's street. Of Mickiewicz and the garrison church near the fortress.
In 1881, the Purchased from the City "tabaczane field" above the Trynką, in the area already pointed by the royal founder, which creates better building possibilities, but then rejected as a little prestigious. In 1889, the The first plebania was erected there. The church had to wait, because in the meantime it became necessary to establish a new cemetery. Finally, May 21, 1896. The foundation stone was laid for construction. On Monday, June 20, 1898 Consecration was made and the day before was celebrated the last devotion in the Church of Fryderykowskim, which was collected shortly after the signing of the agreement with the city on 16 October 1899.
The new church was built according to the project by August Menken from Berlin (1858-1903) as a favorite in this era of neo-Gothic forms. Menken was already the author of the Catholic Garrison Church in Berlin and the Church of St. In Frankfurt am Main. The building was built with a richly dismembered brick solid, with a picturesque roof system, a transept (cross-section) and a turret height of 67 m, topped with a gunfire helmet. This is not – although sometimes so thought – an architecture referring to the local medieval tradition. The outer robe is typical of the then Berlin Architectural school, combining with its own creative invention to achieve different regions and chronological stages of the development of the Gothic style. Three-aisled, interior-covered ceiling, which on the 3 sides revolve wooden enamles, reminds even to some extent the English patterns (the impression was strengthened by the post-war reconstruction, during which the former cast iron pillars were rebuilt and preserved). The church was calculated on more than 1400 seats. He received an impressive interior design: Stained glass windows, murals (Ferdinand Busch), carved altar with porphysy columns (Sagebiel from Braunschweig) and great organ (brothers Dinse). The honorary place in the presbytery was a copy of the famous Last Supper Leonardo da Vinci (Karl Busch), the foundation of Gustav Roeth from Berlin, the former publisher of the renowned local newspaper "Der Gesellige". Air heating and gas lighting were assumed. The construction costs amounted to around 250 thousand brands, and therefore slightly less than – less than about approx. 1/3 – Garrison Church. Shortly afterwards, further buildings were grown for Pastors and church service and the Evangelical House (devoted to 28 January 1910) with a room for 1200 seats, serving meetings, concerts and additional services (after 1920, as he was extended to the needs of the parish, became The seat of the German scene, the amateur theatre). In addition, the bishops of Grudziądz were equipped with care institutions for girls (Borrmann's Mill at Młyńska), boys (the Pelerson plant in Chełmińska and later Cegielniany) and for the elderly, the City Mission) (founded in 1895), shelves for Travellers – "Mother's house" for men and "home of Mary" for Women at ul. Radzyńska (Marshal of Focha). From 1841, The "Grudziądzkie Bible Society" worked. Pastoral care was performed by 3 clergyman, charity activities supported 7 deaconesses from Gdańsk.
During the Battle of the city in 1945, the The church has been badly damaged, the surface of the earth has been sweated by a significant part of the accompanying building. After the war, a longer time served the Polish Catholic parish, and from 1958 to 2005. As the Roman Catholic of the Immaculate Heart of MARY belongs to the Congregation of Marian Fathers. It was called. The Youth Church, in 1971. became the centre of the Independent parish. Only after 1958 Reconstruction, the interior décor has changed over time. The war is still reminiscent of the tower, which today lacks a culmination. It is a pity because it was an important urban accent, from a distance visible successfully competed with the factory chimes and excellently enriched the city skyline.
The military church was founded in 1774, and initially used the city churches, from 1823 to 2005. Served him the Church of St. The Benedictine monastery. 54 at the end of the century, this temple was too tight for the five-week garrison, and it was decided to rise from the state funds of the new church closer to the fortress. The project was drafted at the Berlin Ministry of War by the architect Schönhals, who performed the plans of the garrison church in Toruń, which was consecrated in 1897. The neo-Gothic red brick temple was calculated at 1000 seats, also on the Emporach. Designed exclusively for troops, it was isolated from urban development, the closest surroundings were gardens and cemeteries. It was erected between 1897-1900 and the Church of St. George. The spirit was handed over to the Catholic Military Pastoral ministry. The construction works were guided by Rahmlow and Borowski. The tower with a height of 64 m was crowned by an expended spire, and thanks to its position, the church seemed much larger than in reality. Similar to Toruński was the solution of the polygonal part of the Presbyterian, the divisions of lateral elevation and transept, but here deprived of peaks. Rarely encountered – and perhaps not practical – the solution was the two-nave arrangement of the interior, with the network vaulting of two slender columns of sandstone. The Windows filled the cathedral type glass, in the presbytery stained glass with a carpet pattern. The walls received a modest painting ornamental decoration, in which the Teutonic emblems were interwoven, by Wilhelm Sieversa from Hanover (as in Toruń). The 25-voice organ was built by A. Terletzki from Elbląg. The altar and the pulpit were made of sandstone and oak wood, and on the tower they hung 2 bells. For lighting initially served gas. After the regained independence and return of Grudziądz to Poland in 1920, the garrison church as a state property was taken over to the needs of the Catholics ' soldiers, serving them to the call of Saint. Of the bishop. Communion dishes made in 1840 R. For Grudziądz military congregation – yet at the Church of St. The Spirit – by C. Buttler in Elbląg, are still used in the liturgy in Germany, by the Evangelical military dean of Bonn.
The impressive location of the church became the cause of its destruction, because it became the target of German fire in the first days of September 1939. Although the walls remained still, however, roofs and vaults were destroyed and the temple was demolished during the occupation. Several years after the war, the land was built in detached houses, and no trace indicates that once a great building has stood here.
In 1885, the The number of Evangelite parishiers in the city and county was calculated at 18.000. Smaller Protestant religions were also more or less intensely-Staroluteranie, Baptists, Irwingians, Mennonites, Methodists, and adventicists. The Catholic minority, which groups the German and Polish populations, had 3 churches in the Old Town (Llama, seminar – Pojevite, Garrison St.) before regained independence. Of the Spirit), in Tarpnie and erected in the years 1 of World War St. The cross in Chełmiński suburbs, in addition, the Prison Church (Poreformacki) and the chapel in the orphanage on Rybakach. The number of evangelists in the year 1919 reached 27.000 (in the forty-month city), even thought about the construction of the next church, in Chełmiński suburbs. After the return of the City to Poland (23 January 1920), the number of Germans, both evangelists and Catholics, has decreased by almost 90%.
(Author: Jerzy Domasłowski)