Accompanying the recovery of the independence of the Peoples ' transformation and the presence of evangelists – poles, arriving from central Poland and Cieszyn Silesia, have created a viable opportunity to resurrecting the already forgotten traditions of Polish life Evangelic in Grudziądz. Previously, on the ancient lands of the Prunky Monument in 1919. The Polish Evangelical Society was established in Poznań, and in the next year there was the Polish Evangelical Congregation – Augsburg (with a subsidiary in Leszno, organized in 1926), in 1921. In Toruń and in 1922. In Bydgoszcz, belonging to the Warsaw Evangelical-Augsburg Church, headed by the famous patriotism Fr. Bishop Juliusz Bursche. Moreover, the newcomers did not have a great choice: the authorities of the local evangelical-EU church, established in Poznań, in order to preserve the almost uniform German national composition in the past (exceptions belonged to the Polish speaking Parishioing in southern Wielkopolska and in the scrap of Mazur in Działdowa region), they decided to not accept the Poles for their parishes.
The first devotion in Polish in Grudziądz was celebrated for soldiers of the local garrison Fr. Chaplain Józef Mamica from Poznań (who had previously played an essential role in the uprising of Toruń and Bydgoszcz) on 31 May 1923, in the Evangelical-EU church at ul. Mickiewicz, however, opposed the board of the German congregation, motivated by the presence of civil service, prev[sic!]ented the continuation of these intentions. From now on, the military service took place once a month or less in the hall of the 64 officer's casino of the Pomeranian Infantry Regiment in Kościuszkowski Barracks at ul. Lipowa (Today ul. Legions). In November and December 1923, the With the Polish Evangelical Society in Poznań contacted Dora Cieńska, who, however, soon moved to Toruń. She informed M. In the middle School of mathematics and natural classes of religions for evangelite children gave Lauenhardt, a former pastor from Lesser Poland; She also proposed the introduction of Polish youth services.
Another attempt to organise the Polish Congregation of the Evangelical-Augsburg church was taken by Fr. Jerzy Kahane from Bydgoszcz in October 1930, assisted on site by Nicholas Brunon Ernst and Jacob Buchholl. This time, Fr. Reinhold Dieball, pastor of the EU parish, agreed to make the church available and the first Communion service, preceded by announcements from the pulpit and press announcements, took place on 7 April 1931. (in "111 Easter Feast"). On the organ played the parish Bureau of Prof. Mielke. There were a lot of people, both Poles and Germans, including grudziądz EU priests. Among the participants, special attention was paid to the Miechów family from Silesia, which arrived on foot from a village 7 km away. On the next service 24 May gathered 72 people and this is the correct date of birth of a new Polish-evangelical facility, whose first administrator was the Bydgoszcz Pastoral ministry. Jerzy Kahane, who also has custody of fellow believers in Toruń, in Tczew and occasionally in Gdynia. The Church council was elected with the President, merchant Nicholas Brunon Ernst. The Vice-President was industrialist Gustaw Gede (a.k.a. Gaede) Secretary Gustav Menke (Bank prosecutor), Treasurer Jakub Buchholtz (inspector). The other members of the board are Aleksander Mauer (bank cashier), Artur Damie, Franciszek Metzger, Adam Raszka. The alternators were Paweł Miech (farmer), Karol Schweitzer (accountant), Jerzy Kaleta (Robotnik) and Karol Laudon (also a laborer). The audit committee consisted of Ryszard Paul, Adam Bart and Aleksander Missol. Among the first parishiers, it is known m.in. The name of the industrialist (it belonged to the mineral water plant "Frederick Kyser"), the owner of the estate and the social activist. Jerzy Hastermann, from Tomaszowa Mazowiecki, and owner of the bakery Władysław Roepera, both dead in 1933. The statement of the names of parishiers and their occupations is evidenced by the relatively diverse social composition of a small Grudziądz facility, as among the members of other newly established Polish churches of Wielkopolska and Pomerania, focusing mainly Middle class representatives, workers and farmers were almost not appearing.
The material condition of the newly established facility was not very good, since the Warsaw company Pal offered a fairly considerable amount (50 zł) for the purchase of songbooks for poor parishiers. In the years 1933-1936 the church as a Polish institution received annual subsidies from the Ministry of Religious denominations and the public Enlightenment, since the year 1937 was granted a monthly subsidy to the priest administrator.
During the first period of service, the church was celebrated every 2 weeks on Sundays. 18, upon arrival of the administrator from Toruń. The preparation for confirmation was led by Prof. Mielke, he also began trials with a newly established choir team, whose inauguration public instance was scheduled for Christmas 1931 R. Before the church was celebrated on November 29, the first anniversary of the arrival of Fr. Kahane to Grudziądz and join the organizational work. For this reason, an escort was held in the House of the President of the Ernstów, which was invited members of the Church college, other representatives of the congregation and "The two pastors of the fraternalised German congregation". The musical setting was the piano music and the solo singing of Mrs. Ernstowa, while the table in a relaxed atmosphere gave a lot of talks. The first confirmation (3 persons) took place on June 29, 1932. In the festively decorated church. The ceremony was beautify with the singing of the mixed parish choir. Then a general meeting was held with more than 40 people on which the new administrator, Fr. Waldemar Preiss from Bydgoszcz gave the reading "the aims and tasks of Polish evangelicism". The Circle of ladies under the leadership of Marty Lipowska, with participation in the Board of the PP, was called to life. Krausno and Torno.
In 1933, the administrator of the parish with its headquarters in Grudziądz was Fr. Ryszard Danielczyk, and the new chairman of the Church council was elected Gustav Gaede, in place of the predecessor who moved to Bydgoszcz. In addition, the Church council consisted of: Fr. Danielczyk (Vice President), Aleksander Missol (Secretary), Jakub Buchholz (Treasurer), Aleksander Mauer (host) and Adam Raszka, Franciszek Metzger, Ryszard Paul, Gustaw Menke, Paweł Miech and Jerzy Kaleta, to the audit committee entered: Ryszard Paul, Artur Damie and Adam Bart. In 1934, the Responsibilities of the Vice-President was exercised by the Administrator of the congregation, Secretary Aleksander Missol, Deputy Secretary Franciszek Metzger, treasurer of Jakub Buchholz remained, in addition to the work of the Council participated Ryszard Paul (buchalter), Aleksander Mauer as The host and as members of Artur Damie, director Alfred Michejda, Gustav Menke, Oskar Schmidt and Henryk confer. In the audit committee, they acted as Alfred Szulc, Adam Bart and Henryk Szulc. May 28, 1933 The church was visited by the superior of the Diocese of Poznań-Pomorska fr. The senior Gustav Manitius of Poznań and on this occasion in the church gathered about 100 people. This was a very high number, since the Polish church then concentrated 56 members. Among them was a group of Reformed evangelists, initially deprived of their own pastoral care, which led to certain tensions. Apart from that, there were still separate celebrations in Grudziądz for soldiers – evangelists, who in the years 1930-1935 was led by Fr. Wilhelm Fibich, chaplain of the Protestant-reformed religion of Toruń and his successor Fr. Jan Potocki. In the year 1931 the local garrison served 59 and in 1935 – 40 the Evangelists.
In some cases, social events were held, such as a fan lottery for the congregation on 2 July 1933, a social gathering with buffets and dances in the side halls of "Tivoli"-1 February 1934, a train trip to the group on 21 May. The year, or to Rudnika on 16 June 1935. There were also meetings of a different character-eg. On October 25, 1934, devoted to the long discussion on Paweł Hulka-Laskowski's booklet "Role and tasks of evangelical intelligence".
October 22, 1933 was celebrated by Fr. First Polish devotion in Wąbrzeźno. The chairman of the temporary ecclesial administration was the dentist's doctor Marceli Goldberg (ice from Łódź), then Oskar Stelle. In addition to the Grudziądz pastor as Vice President, Olga Schneider (Secretary), Oskar Stelle (Treasurer), Adolf Weiss (host) and organist Aleksander Kryger also entered the board. The inauguration ceremony took place in the hall of the school library, attended by Zygmunt Kalkstein as a representative of the state authorities, the next in the EU church, but in time, although the Polish congregation had to concentrate dozens of members and negotiations on The future seemed successful-the activity ceased.
The successive connotations took place on June 17, 1934. (7 persons; except Fr. Danielczyk, in the celebration of the violin with P. Wittich and the choir singing participated. Prefect of Zygmunt Kuźwa from Katowice), 29 June 1937. (5 persons, attended by Fr. Waldemara Preissa and Fr. June 5, 1938. (also 5 people). In January 1934, the Conceived to issue a biweekly "Evangelical Review", subtitled Organ of Polish Evangelical churches in Pomerania and Poznańsko. 24 numbers were issued in Grudziądz, at the beginning of the following year the letter was transferred to Bydgoszcz. The editorial office was located at ul. 54, the secretary was Aleksander Missol, a newspaper printed by the local Craftsman's printing house. Ks. Danielczyk also served the church in Tczew and transitively in Starogard Gdański. Devotions in Grudziądz were held every 2 weeks, at the hour. 8.30 in the autumn-winter period by 12.30. The Polish Evangelical Parish of Augsburg consisted of about 70 members – probably an adult, paying a church contribution (the German evangelical-EU parish concentrated about 3000 souls). Relations with the EU church were correct, the deadlines for Polish services were also announced in German services. There were also patriotic celebrations, such as the On the occasion of Imienin Marshal Józef Piłsudski and on the days of national holidays-May 3, 11 November. Once a week, there were classes of religions, conducted in 3 groups in the State gymnasium of the female at UL. Maria Curie-Skłodowska. " March 26, 1935 Ks. Danielczyk moved to Silesia to Rybnik and on April 1 the administrator was Fr. Waldemar Preiss from Bydgoszcz, who has previously performed this function from 1 April 1932 to 30 June 1933. September 1, 1937 He was replaced by Fr. Ryszard Trenkler of Toruń, well acquainted with the church from the time of the Vicariate in Bydgoszcz. Unfortunately, the lack of constant contact with the pastor has considerably diminished the work of the congregation, which has probably confined itself almost exclusively to Sunday services and religious lessons. After 1935, the No news about the work of the Ladies wheel, although its existence would indicate a list of victims made to the star for poor parishiers at the end of 1936. In 1936, the Elected a delegate to the diocesan senior meeting, which was Dyn Alfred Michejda. General Parish Meeting, which took place after the patriotic service on the occasion of Independence Day on November 11, 1937. decided to raise the height of the compulsory church contribution and once again elected the Council, whose president was again Gustav Gaede, while the members of PP. Buchholz, Damie, Mauer, Menke, Paul, Henryk Szulc, Teodor Szulc, Metzger, Ondrouśkowa and Raszka. The Council took place on 22 May of the following year. The last message from the life of the congregation, which arrives from the pre-war period, is the announcement of the wedding of Wojciech Karpiński from Poznań and Halina Menkówny, the daughter of a long-time member of the local Ecclesial Council (18 April 1939).
The German occupation has resulted in the total destruction of the young institution, deprived and other Polish institutions of the right to existence. The EU church, although the German population, was subjected to numerous rigor. Autumn 1944 He was arrested by the pastor Dieball (born in 1875, operating in Grudziądz from 1919) and was released only shortly before the Soviet assault on the city. The last evangelical and German devotion in the church at ul. Mickiewicza was celebrated by Pastor Stöhr on January 21, 1945.
(Author: Jerzy Domasłowski)